Tuesday, May 18, 2010

The Corporate Lie

Havener talks about how organizations become no longer viable, and operate as virtual dinosaurs on the playing field of the marketplace once they get trapped in the normative phase. He states bluntly that it is death to the system. He stresses the need for open systems to stay current with the changes of day to day interactions. Using the example of nature one sees how it is a naturally integrative force constantly adapting to its present environment and restructuring to suit these ever-changing developments.

The thrust of the article is why corporations are not able to attract talented people. Corporations are lamenting that they have more ideas than they can implement because they just don’t have the talent needed to make them come alive. That brings a tear to my eye when I think of that. Here I am sitting at a desk, working at a job that allows me to examine the high falootin’ structure of organizations and systems. I am careful not to share this information with the powers that be because I know that they don’t want to hear it. I know that in the past when I brought good ideas to the plate they were shoved under the rug. In various forums as I tried to get the suggestions into the right hands I was met with roadblocks. I’ve been told on more than one occasion that I am expressing myself in situations that are not appropriate to discuss these things. I realized that as an open system thinker I became a threat to the status quo, and needed to be kept in my place. I even went so far as be invited to a closed door meeting to discuss some of these feelings and ideas I had, only to be told “although I can listen to you. I can’t necessarily tell you what you want to hear.” When I challenged what are the incentives we are operating within this organization other than not getting fired, or demoted, I was given an empty smile.

And this brings me to my feelings as a corporate serf which is the Corporate Lie. I really got hot under the collar thinking about this false meritocracy we are handed. I used to read Napoleon Hill’s Think and Grow Rich, and although I do give merit to many of his ideas, there are some things that are just so wrong, and one of the key ones is that if you work hard within the corporate system, you will be rewarded for your efforts. As an actor in the system I have all too often had opposite effects. If you uphold their normative structure, by following their rules, and putting a smiling face, suit and tie, shave your beard, and play the role, only then will you be rewarded by the closed system.

Now we are rolling up into the key points of my thoughts. Here we have what I have dubbed the Corporate Lie. This is the nonsense management feeds you to keep the structure as it is. They don’t want to make the changes needed to keep things alive.

No comments: