Monday, June 07, 2010

Intuitive Breadcrumbs

For my second stop on my blog journey I aptly chose Linda Hollier due to her being mentioned by Anthony Lawlor in the intro to his last blog post, and also because she retweeted one of my quotes last night. In keeping with my intuitive breadcrumb theory it made sense to arrive here next. I found a post she made on Integral Life about the Burj Khalifa , a building in Dubai which is the tallest in the world. Linda gives this building the expressions of a living, breathing being.

***Please Note: due to my rambling mind, and hunger to explore I jumped away from Linda’s post and never made it back there***

This immediately brings to mind the Shambhala teachings on Drala and Yun. Dralas are the elemental energies of everyday magic that arise out of situations, and are recognized when one stops their internal chatter. It also conjures up the work of Francisco Varela when he speaks of moving from the internal into the external in order to become in harmony with our experience. This is the point of creation when we are no longer trapped in ourselves but allow the opening to take place and see the greater cosmos.

A portion of his work is described as such in the following entry from Wikipedia:

“Varela was a proponent of the embodied philosophy which argues that human cognition and consciousness can only be understood in terms of the enactive structures in which they arise, namely the body (understood both as a biological system and as personally, phenomenologically experienced) and the physical world with which the body interacts. He introduced into neuroscience the concepts of neurophenomenology, based on the phenomenological writings of Edmund Husserl and of Maurice Merleau-Ponty, and on "first person science," in which observers examine their own conscious experience using scientifically verifiable methods.”

Varela talks about the interaction of the human being with their external world. This is the dance of life. As living structures we are alive, and always in concert with the physical world. Varela got the core idea of this interaction from the work of Edmund Husserl who developed a model to understand this interplay. I first came across this model in the book Presence where the authors discuss using the “U-model” to deep-dive into the space of intuitive knowing, and push out into the external world through prototyping and eventually institutionalizing the gleanings once processed through the act of seeing things as they are, letting this go, and then crystallizing the insight that is allowed to come.

In my enthusiasm to layout some of these concepts I have lost my original thread so I will backtrack a little bit to the first tangent I made which was the mention of the dralas. As a matter of fact I will leave this entry and start a new entry on Drala. It is time to go to my next breadcrumb.

No comments: